Determine the optimal width of the seat.
A. Measure your hip width in a seated position to determine the best walk-in tub seat size.
Note: To measure your hip width, sit in a chair and place the end of the measuring tape on the outside of your right hip. Pull the measuring tape straight across your pelvic area to the outside of your left hip.
B. Measure the distance between your back against the chair to your foot arch against the wall to determine the walk-in tub length best fit for you.
Note: It would help us recommend a tub that’s right for, if you’ll give our sales agent your height and weight
Next, assess the layout of your bathroom or location where the walk-in tub will be installed.
- Before purchasing a walk-in tub, consider the door widths from the front door to the bathroom, including turning angles leading to and in the bathroom. These dimensions will help you pick the right tub length and width that meets your space constraints and personal needs. Installing a tub that is larger than the door width is possible and will require door frame removal or door opening modification.
- Any fixtures that may prohibit the opening and/or operation of an outswing door tub will also need to be considered
Door Shape & Opening Dimensions
Consider the bather’s physical impairments and bathroom layout when choosing a door type.
1. If you can walk unassisted our u-shape door models are right for you:
Inward swing is best if your narrowest hip dimension is less than 16 ½ inches
– Be sure to account for the door closing radius as the door needs to clear your knees as it pivots on the door hinge
– Inward swing doors are ideal if objects in the bathroom will prevent the unobstructed door movement
Outward swing is best if your narrowest hip dimension is less than 20 inches
– Outward swing doors are ideal if you have the space in your bathroom to accommodate the door movement
2. L-shape door tubs are ideal for:
For bathers with oversized body types, and bathers that require the use of a wheelchair or walker, the L-shape outswing door allows for bathers to effortlessly slide into the seat through the wide 36” L-shape door opening which can clear a 21” toilet.
If your bathroom layout can accommodate both an inward and outward swing U-shape door, you may shift your focus to the aesthetic look of the door instead of functionality.
Inward: Made from a custom brushed stainless steel and a frosted tempered glass window to give a sleek, contemporary look.
Outward: Made with industrial grade durable plastic composite material with a decorative tempered glass front screen to conceal the mechanical door lock system.
The aluminum door’s distinct shape, and the engineering, allows the door to clear a 21” tall toilet and create a wide entry for an easy transition from wheelchair into a smooth acrylic seat. The sleek rubber handle mounted on the inside panel of the door also aids in closing the door.
U-Shape Inward Swing Door
U-Shape Outward Swing Door
L-Shape Outward Swing Door
Door Handle Position Preferences
U-shape and L-shape Outward Swing Doors
- Bathers who have limited use of their arms, or suffer from reduced upper body strength, will find the U-shape outward swing door easier to operate.
- The handle allows bathers to simply lift the lever on the outside of the door when opening and closing the door.
U-shape Inward Swing Doors
- U-shaped inward swinging door handles are more convenient as they are located next to the hips for easier access.
- The extended handle allows bathers to effortlessly lift the lever, bypassing bathers legs when opening and closing the door.
Drain & Door Direction
When choosing a walk-in tub drain position, consider the following:
Floor drain position is not a major concern as most of our walk-in tubs come standard with a left or right 4-port dual drain system that can be directed to drain water towards the front or rear of the tub.
Aesthetic focal points and room orientation to face the bather towards a window or some other focal point to help the bather relax while looking at an aesthetically pleasing view while they enjoy their time in an Ella walk-in tub.
Note: Ella walk-in tubs come with either a left hand drain, or a right hand drain on all models except Mobile, Front Entry, and Two Seat Tubs models. All models are standard equipped with a Dual 2” Drain except the Mobile and Front Entry walk-in tub models which come with a single 2” Drain with an emergency pull up chain.
The quantity and configuration of therapeutic options is determined in part, by the amount of space available below the tub shell to house the mechanical components. The larger the size of the walk-in tubs, the more motors and mechanical components can be fit within the stainless steel tub frame. At maximum a walk-in tub can fit 4 therapeutic options. Please visit product pages to see available therapeutic combination options for each tub style.
Larger tubs like TransferXXXL, Transfer60, ShaK, and the 2 seat models can fit all of the below therapy options:
- Hydro + air + hydro/independent foot massage
- Hydro + air + microbubble + hydro/independent foot massage
3 of the most popular therapy combinations are:
- Hydro + Air
- Hydro + Hydro/ Independent Foot Massage.
- Hydro + Microbubble Therapy
Below is a description of the benefits of air, hydro, and microbubble therapy. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Seek the medical advice of a doctor before purchasing a microbubbles system to relieve any skin conditions.
Air Massage Therapy
Bathers who are bariatric or have mobility challenges may enjoy the air massage feature with bidet jets to help keep the bather clean in hard-to-reach places
Infusion™ Microbubble Therapy
Bathers who have skin conditions may benefit from a microbubble jetting feature. The microbubble system breaks down the air molecules in water to less than 50 microns, turning the water milky white, allowing these tiny bubbles to penetrate the initial layer of the bather’s skin. Some of our customers have told us that microbubble has helped them with psoriasis and eczema, as well as leaving their skin feeling exfoliated, hydrated, and feeling healthy.
Bathers who have circulatory challenges like diabetes, hypertension, or amputation may benefit from a hydrotherapy jetted walk-in tub with an intensity control dial to control the intensity of the hydrotherapy jet. The in-line water heater and ozone sterilization automatically engage when the hydro massage push control is pressed down when turning on your jets. The hydrotherapy intensity control is used to adjust the intensity of the hydrotherapy jets to suit a bather’s needs by adjusting the strength of the water stream, adding more or less air into the hydro system.
Hydrotherapy + Independent Foot Massage
In minutes, enjoy an independent hydro foot and calf massage with 4 strategically placed jets by filling the water up to seat level.
Soaking only option (no pumps, no jets)
For anyone looking for a simple bathing experience to soak away the stress, this soaking option is an excellent choice. Taking a warm bath may calm nerves, clear sinuses, and reduce inflammation in muscles and joints.
Possible Therapeutic Benefits
Bathers may benefit from hydrotherapy jetted walk-in tubs if they suffer from these health concerns:
- Rheumatoid arthritis or Osteoarthritis arthritis
- Knee replacements
- Users of canes, walkers, wheelchairs
- Discectomy or Laminectomy
- Hip pain
- Injury from falling
- Slow circulation
Note: These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. Always consult your doctor before buying/using a walk-in tub.
Why Choose Walk-in Tub USA
All Ella brand Walk-in Bathtubs are equipped with the highest standard of safety features, which may include:
- Wide entry
- Low step in threshold for entry and exit
- Deck and wall mounted safety grab bars
- Built-in molded seat
- Fast-fill faucets
- Fastest gravity driven dual drain technology in the industry
- Textured floor
Note: Fast-fill faucets reduce the fill time of the walk-in tub, while our fast gravity fed drains reduce the drain time of our walk-in tubs.
All Ella brand Walk-in Bathtubs are equipped with cleansing features based on a therapeutic package. Features which may include:
- Hydro systems are equipped with Ozone Sterilization. Ozone is a proven water disinfectant. It can eliminate a wide variety of inorganic, organic, microbiological bacteria, and odor. It is the most eco-friendly, chemical-free, and green technology for disinfectants.
- Ella Air systems are equipped with Auto-purge. Ella’s Air Jet System includes an Auto Purge System. It automatically activates shortly after completing your bath in order to blow out any excess water and bacteria from the hoses. The Auto Purge System prevents your walk-in bathtub from getting moldy or clogged.
Note: For cleaning purposes the textured floor and the seat have a glossy finish. For additional safety, you can purchase and add slip resistant strips to the floor and seat. Slip resistant strips are available for purchase at most hardware stores.